DUE TO COVID-19 WE ARE OFFERING 2 X 4 HOUR PRIVATE LESSONS FOR GROUPS OF ONE OR TWO IN LEIU OF OUR NORMAL SESSION TIMES. ALL COURSE COMPONENTS ARE STILL COVERED. CALL US ON 9280 1110 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
The Sydney Harbour Bareboat Charter Skipper course is a one-day course designed to prepare you for skippering a Sydney By Sail yacht in Sydney Harbour during daylight hours.
Topics include reefing, anchoring, basic engineering, system checks, trouble shooting, radio operation and navigating.
Prerequisites: Previous experience / knowledge of sailing and sailing yachts; preferably at Crew level / certification. Please call us to inquire on (02) 9280 1110.
- Operating procedures
- Safety inspection and equipment
- Location and layout
- Seacock's and thru-hull fittings electrical systems - switches and breakers
- Bilge systems - pumps and filters
- Instruments - log and transducer, basic engineering - engine parts & spares
- Trouble shooting
- Water leaks
- Electrical failure - pumps, lights, windlass
- Engine failure - over heating, fuel shortage, toilet blockage
- Stove in-operable
- Radio operation
- Emergency procedures
- Sailing technique
- Tips on sail configuration
- Sailing in heavy seas
- Comfortable sailing
- Helming techniques & short handed sailing
- Trouble shooting & gear failure
- Anchoring technique
- Passage planning provisioning the yacht
- Using the chart & equipment
- Dead reckoning
- Best itineraries - Sydney Harbour
- Best anchorages - Sydney Harbour
- Course runs over a full day from 10am - 4pm
- Successful graduates can charter yachts from Sydney by Sail on Sydney Harbour