The International Crew Course gives a basic understanding of the knowledge that is required to be an active crew member onboard a yacht. The level of instruction in the International Crew Course is more advanced than that of the Introduction to Yachting course, paying greater attention to technique and the mechanics of boat speed.
This certificate allows you to:
- crew on a vessel up to a maximum length of 78 ft /24 metres
- in coastal waters up to 20 miles offshore
- in daylight hours and in fair conditions with moderate wind and sea conditions
It is the level of competence that someone needs either when acting as watchkeeping crew on a yacht and as a skipper of a small yacht in protected waters where help is immediately available in calm conditions.
The theory instruction component of the course is run on a Thursday evening from 5.30 pm - 9 pm, and the practical component of the course is run on the following weekend from 9am - 4pm (subject to change) both days. The course concludes with a practical assessment and a theory exam.
Courses are run subject to availability.
- Nautical terminology
- Safety briefing
- Passage planning
- Rope work
- Basic rules of the road
- Introduction to weather
- Basic sail handling
- Basic handling under power
- Man overboard procedures
- Vessel equipment and instruments
- Engine checks and maintenance
- Deck seamanship
- Sailing vessels handling skills
- Sailing vessels under power
- Power vessel handling skills
- Dingy handling under power
COST: $750 for the theory & weekend courses
- Total 14 hours on-water instruction aboard a Sydney By Sail yacht.
- To receive the IYT International Crew Certificate, you must complete ALL parts of the IYT syllabus.
If you would like to receive the International Crew Certificate, and you are starting as a beginner, consider our International Crew Package, specifically designed to meet the requirements for certification.
- IYT Boating Passport Logbook - $25
THE NEXT STEPS:
We would recommend the 1-day course VHF Radio Operator Certificate to learn how to safely use your marine radio in any situation.
If you are keen to continue on to the next level, consider enrolling on our International Skipper Course which will allow you to charter a yacht up to 24 meters on a 'bareboat' basis (without a skipper) at an international level. If this is your goal consider our International Skipper Package which is designed to take you right through from beginner.